Do Freelance, Or Just Be Another Lemming?

I've an opportunity to, or rather a stronger excuse, to register my own company and really seriously start on my freelance 'career'. Right now still weighing the pros and cons, but the idea of my own company is intriguing...

Met up with a bunch of ex-college mates for dinner at KLCC and had a nice, albeit more civil than warm, time. We're pretty cold and standoffish creatures, Aquarians. Look at Oprah. She's not really into long big hugs. Just the way we are. Anyway, most of the girls have kids, two or three of them each. When the inevitable question was asked of me, all I said was 'I may have kittens first', to which they rolled their eyes as kindly as they could and smiled. Then they asked me where I'm working right now...

No, I don't live the typical professional-mid30's-Malay-woman's life. You know, college educated, stable job, 2.5 kids, decent Malay husband and a house mortgage. Not married to a Malay man (and contrary to what others believe, I think there are really decent Malay men out there... they're just all taken that's all), don't have kids, don't have my own house and mortgage (yet) and don't have a stable job.

Sometimes I wonder if I've too short an attention span to manage all that expectation for a typical professional-mid30's-Malay-woman. And I don't say that flippantly. I'm dead serious.

The breed of women that makes up the typical professional-mid30's-Malay-woman is hardy, persistent, patient, and possesses that tenacity that I so unforgivably lack. Or at least, I lack the confidence that I am one of such a breed. Or maybe I haven't given myself a chance to prove that I am one.

Anyway, I'm rambling here. So about this freelance thing. Upon returning from my dinner with my ex college mates, the idea of having my own company sounded more appealing. It may be a cop-out - at least then, the next time someone asks what I do, I can say that I have my own company and leave it to their imagination to interpret what it means. And people usually think things are greener on the other side. They might think me a bigshot, having my own company and all that.

So I do care what other people think of me after all. What a disappointment. ;)

It's worth looking into, in any case. There are plenty enough writing jobs out there I can apply for. Plenty. But do I really want to be an employee again?

So hard when you don't know what the heck it is that you want out of life. *sigh*

Comments

RomanceWriter said…
I think it sounds exciting to have your own business. If you go for it, I wish you all the best of luck.

Cyber hugs, even if you are an Aqaurius, from me to you.

Sara