A job in Surrey...

... or London. Or Epsom, Leatherhead, Sutton, Kingston-Upon-Thames... wherever, I'm not picky, really! :) Having been here since January, I have to say that I'm not too sad to see the snow well and gone. Although winter was not as bad as I thought it would be. Loved the snow we had (for about three days) but am happy that Spring is here.

Unfortunately, now is not the best time to be on the job hunt, what with so many people terminated from their jobs. It seems like every day, there's another company closing down or cutting costs. It would be interesting to have an economist explain it to me - how what began as the property market slump somehow led to Woolworths and other companies like that closing down. Banks I can understand... but how does it spread out to affect the car industry?

When companies focus too much on profit margins (and their shareholders are pertly to blame) then you're asking for trouble down the road somewhere. Maybe it's time to promote the 'slow company' movement (slow food... hint hint?). I've always thought the general public would do well to support local, homegrown businesses. You know, the 'mom and pop' cafes, grocers, butchers, etc. They may not be as low-priced as your Tescos or Waitrose, but I firmly believe, if they run it right, such businesses provide better quality and service. They're quaint, friendly, small and manageable. We've go two local newsagents here, a small Chippie and a quaint Portuguese cafe. I love all of them. I dread the thought of a future where the only places you can go grocery shopping is Tesco and Sainsburys. Even Waitrose. It's just not natural! You lose the colours and textures in your life.

Nevertheless, you just have to keep trying! It may take weeks, months, but it will get better. And until then, I may as well enjoy Spring!

Comments