Monday, 4pm and the sky keeps threatening rain on us.

But it's only a tease. It rains a little, a bit of a drizzle, then it stops. Then it drizzles again, and stops again. Keeps coming back again and again like Roddick in the last set of the Wimbledon finals.

Andy Murray, future Wimbledon Champion


To quote Mike's best friend, Malcolm: 'Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...' *whilst shaking his head in dismay* (hmmm... somehow that image reminds me of his moustache, dunno why.) Nice chap, all the way in China. Wonder when he'll return the the UK (or if he'll ever!)

Funny where life takes you. Sometimes the journey is planned, other times it isn't. But I have to say, more often than not, it's the unplanned journeys that are the most fun. There's a sense of adventure in these, a peek through the doors of the great unknown. It may bring fun and adventure, but it may also bring heartache. Well I suppose either way it's still an adventure, so you can't really complain can you?

I've often complained (mostly to myself because people don't like to listen to other people complaining or whingeing, do they?) about being unsettled, about not being able to grow roots in any one place (at home or at work). And yet, oftentimes, I find myself growing increasingly restless being in one place for too long. It eats at me, the gnaw of needing - not wanting, NEEDING - to change. Needing to be somewhere else, do something else.

Maybe its the Aquarius side of me, always flitting from one thing to another. Or perhaps I have a mild, undiagnosed case of ADHD. But then again, it may be the Bugis blood in me, seafarers of old. I've always known I'd end up in foreign land/lands; always daydreamed, always wondered about it. The adventures of Jacques Cousteau and David Attenborough filled me with indescribable fascination, as they travelled lands far and wide, into deep blue seas and dark humid jungles. It wasn't so much a choice I made in my head; I could not help the pull of travel, of seeing new landscapes and unfamiliar cultures. It's like an itch you just have to scratch or it'll drive you insane (or maybe even depresseed).

I haven't been to a lot of places, but I have been to some. I haven't touched foot in Australia, New Zealand, India, China or Japan. I'd also like to visit South America and maybe Russia. I'm not pulled much towards the Scandinavian countries or places like Korea. Not sure why. Is there something in our genes that makes us predisposed to attraction to certain places, the way I believe something in our genes makes us predisposed to certain people. As in like life partners. Why is it that I find places like Japan or India as instantly attractive as I do men with dark hair (as opposed to those with blonde hair)?

NO


Hell YES!

Or maybe, it's not so much the place that fascinates me, but the people. After all, mountain ranges are nice and native faunas are unique, but the people and the culture of a place is far more interesting to me. A place and it's flora/fauna is there to be seen; but a people and a culture is there to be fathomed and understood. Japan, without its peoples and its cultures, isn't even half as interesting. Visiting places like these is like witnessing a moment in the continuous evolution of culture. Places like Africa, South America, India and to some strange extent, Japan, is where some of the most momentous cultural evolution is taking place. Where the people are changing, adopting and modifying their culture visibly.

A moment of hesitation. Am I right? Perhaps. That's my opinion, thus far.

And my life's journey so far has brought me here and now, 5pm Monday afternoon, in a cosy living room in Surrey. The sky outside is still threatening rain, but at least the air is warm(ish). Time to get off my bum (rapidly disappearing much to my delight... all my jeans are loose on me!) and mull the matter over a cup of redbush tea. :)

Comments