So inspired by the rocket lemon squeezer designer...

... I feel it's about time I get my own 'life philosophy' straight. I've been going for long enough reinventing myself, trying to find the 'me' that works, the 'me' that I can live with. Trying to find a life, an existence, a way of being that I can accept as 'IT' for me. Trying to find a job? an occupation? a definition?... that makes me 'me'. It's like looking in a mirror and not being sure of what / who it is that I see. Not being sure what my life's worth is.

So the best place to start is to list down your a few things you truly believe in about life in general:

1. Life's too short.
2. People should not take this life too seriously.
3. At the end of the day, it's how you treated / dealt with others, that's all that matters in the end. Most particularly, how you treat your life partner and your parents.
4. Whatever aspects in life, we need to consider sustainability (fard Kifayah).
5. Each day in your life happens only once. So whatever decisions you make or actions you take in that day, make it count.
6. To serve the Creator in all that we do in life (or rather, to make sure whatever we do isn't in contradiction to what guidance we've received from our Creator).
7. Whatever work / business you choose to do, make sure it's back to basics, nothing superfluous or unnecessary or wasteful or over indulgent. Instead of fashion, go into the food business. Instead of selling candies and fizzy drinks, sell good basic organic foods. Go back to basics because the world's resources isn't able to cope with out wants/greed, but it might be able to cope with all our basic necessities / needs. Make sure that whatever it is that we choose as our career / occupation is for the greater benefit of mankind (and the world in general), not to mankind's detriment.
8.

Once you've listed what you feel are the philosophies that you hold true to in life, you need to figure out what 'turns you on' in life. I came across an article in The Independent about a guy who worked as an graphic designer, who took the decision to re-train as a chef. After working as a graphic designer for 12 years, at the age of 31, Gavin Billenness wanted to do something new. It wasn't easy, in fact, it sounded downright hellish. But he gritted his teeth, stuck to every time he had doubts and second thoughts, and in the end, he made it. And he's happy. Then I saw an article about Simon Cooper and I'm now exploring the possibility of going into accounting. But then Mike asked if I wouldn't be more interested in a career in Psychology (which I've always been interested in). So I think now I'll explore both Accounting AND Psychology.

The point of that entire paragraph above is this: even if you're 37, it is not too late to change or re-think your career. I've always known I'm a late bloomer and it's taken me a while to get out of that rut of pushing myself (perhaps more unconsciously than consciously) to conform to what I think other people feel I ought to do / be. But I think now I've come to a crossroad where I am able to brush off that nagging feeling that I 'OUGHT' to be doing this or that, and just figure out what path I REALLY want to take. I mean after all, there's no point in flogging a dead horse if your job just doesn't do anything for you. Especially if you're making yourself and your colleagues miserable.

So, armed with the above philosophies and options of industries / areas you're interested in, I think one is in in good stead to start exploring - and finally deciding - that holy grail of occupation that one would feel happy committing oneself to. Good luck!

Comments