Feel Your Way Through Life

According to NLP, there are three main ways that people communicate / remember / store memories - visually, auditorily and kinesthetically. Apparently, I'm a kinesthetic sort of person rather than a visual or auditory person. I experience life more through kinesthetics. That's according to NLP by the way. It's kind of weird once you realise this about how people experience and communicate in life. People who are more visually inclined remembers things and stores events in their memory more as pictures / images, those who are more auditory remembers and stores memories as sounds. Which is rather interesting because I find that if I try to remember an event or thing in the past, I tend to see images of the event and how I felt at the time, but never the audio. *shrug*

Anyway. The point of this whole discovery is that I've now decided to make it a point to feel my way through life, events and experiences. Where usually my mind would overthink and go into hyperdrive, I've resolved to deliberately press the 'stop' button for my mind (thinking) and try to notice what I'm FEELING at that moment. The sweet thing about this little exercise is that I've found it to be a great way to quiet the mind. You know how Buddhists say that you ought to sit quietly, still your mind and focus on your breath? Well I find it more helpful to focus my mind on how I FEEL. For the moment at least.

It's so true that saying - if you're not the Master of your mind, then you're it's Slave. If we don't distinguish the difference between our mind (our thinking) and our consciousness (our presence) then we are at risk of identifying only with our mind; believing that our mind IS who we are. Which is grossly untrue. You know those times when we get so angry at someone or something, but we tell ourselves 'steady on there, don't lose our temper'? Well, that is our Consciousness willing us to stay calm even though our Minds are jumping up and down like a monkey on fire egging us to deck the person or scream our heads off at him/her. THAT is the moment our Consciousness distinguishes itself from our Mind. And the more we do this, the easier it is for us to 'differentiate' ourselves from our thinking minds. Our thinking minds can often times be a very treacherous thing. It gets us into arguments, causes suspicions and misunderstandings. If we give in to that little voice that tells us that the other person doesn't like us, eventually, down the road, we might end up like one of those people who talk to themselves and believes that everyone is out to get them.

I think I've done enough of 'thinking' my way through life so far. I think (no pun intended) it's time that I let myself FEEL my way through life now. Should be interesting. :)

Comments