Life on Mars & California Dreamin' : Dalton Harris (X-Factor)

Oh. My. God.

This is the most beautiful voice I've heard singing David Bowie's 'Life on Mars'. Dalton Harris of the -Factor. Have a listen:

Seriously. If, like me, you find yourself replaying that video to listen again and again, then just download the X-Factor app and buy the tune already! :)  Gorgeous, gorgeous voice! The theme for this first show is 'This is me' and contestants perform songs that they feel tells their story to best extent. Having been born in Jamaica where he lived most his life, Dalton says is the perfect song for him for that line - Is there life on Mars? A young Dalton in Jamaica often wondered "Jamaica. Is the only place that exists? Is there opportunity anywhere else in the world."

I have to say, this year's X-Factor competition showcases so many really good singers. My favourites vocally for this Saturday's show (yes, I know, I know. I missed the live show and writing this on Sunday) are: Dalton Harris, Shan Ako, Scarlett Lee, Bella Penfold, Anthony Russel, Janice Robinson... in that order.

But if I want a new ringtone for my iPhone, I'd definitely got for Olatunji Yearwood's original 'Jiggle It' or Misunderstood's original 'Chewing Gum'. Was Yearwood's original piece in answer to Misunderstood's decision to do an original piece? I do wonder. If it was, then for a piece written only ten days ago, Yearwood's 'Jiggle It''s catchy factor is pretty darn impressive!

This year's live show has an almost no-holds-barred feel to it, as though Yoda himself had a hand in the practice sessions and reminded all the contestants: "Do or do not. There is no try." All the contestants seem to have jumped in and hit the ground running with their performances. For the first live show, it was surprisingly entertaining, very good. As I'm writing this, I know I've missed the Sunday live shows. So am gonna go watch that now on ITV replay.

Right after I've voted for Dalton Harris.

Just couldn't resist planting this video of the most recent performance by Dalton Harris on X-Factor, singing California Dreamin.

Comments